Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion

CAMBRIDGE WWAR MEMORIAL - "Coming Home"

Compiled and copyright © 2001 Martin Edwards

The memorial was unveiled on 3rd July 1923 by HRH The Duke of York. The memorial was paid for by public subscription; the architect was George Hubbard and the sculptor Dr Robert Tait McKenzie. The memorial originally stood at the junction of Hills Road (A1307) and Station Road but was moved in 2009 onto Hills Road outside the Botanic Gardens. The returning soldier looks back towards Cambridge Station as he strides purposefully towards his "home". He has taken his helmet off and there is a lightness in his step which sums up his relief at returning from the conflict.

CambridgeMemorialComingHome.jpg - 7992 Bytes
Photograph Courtesy & Copyright © NIWM - 2001
Photograph Copyright © Phil Curme - 2000
Cambridge 'Coming Home' War Memorial unveiling on 3rd July 1923 by HRH The Duke of York from an old postcard

The inscription reads:

TO THE MEN OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE
AND THE ISLE OF ELY, THE BOROUGH
AND UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE
WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR
1914-1919

Last updated 24 June, 2012
Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore