Carlisle City Centre Cenotaph is to be found in the City Centre, Carlisle
and takes the form of a granite cenotaph mounted on a baee with a dedicatory
plaque and a bronze cross. This commemorates the men who died in World
War 2 and was dedicated and unveiled by the Bishop of Carlisle 16th
November 1990; The masons were Messrs. John Fyfe, the designer Mr david
Andrew Walmsley, the builders were Laing Stonemasonry Ltd, the mason
Cubby Construction Ltd and the foundry Porter Engineering.
Park itself was purchased as Carlisle’s war memorial by the Citizens’
League in 1920. The original Cenotaph is to be found in Rickerby Park,
Carlisle, Cumbria and takes the form of a granite cenotaph, the granite
talen from Shap Fell, which holds the county, town and Regimental crests
at the base and a wreath at the top; the whole stands on a raised platform.
It was unveiled by the Earl of Lonsdale 25th May 1922; the architect
was Sir Robert Lorimer. There are no names listed on the memorial. It
commemorates the men who fell in World War 1.
‘old’ cenotaph in Rickerby Park is in fact part of the Cumberland
and Westmorland War Memorial. While the morning events at 11am on Remembrance
Sunday are focussed around community remembrance in communities, such
as the recent addition in Carlisle’s town centre, leaders from
the former twin counties of Cumberland and Westmorland – two of
the four counties involved in what is now known as Cumbria - then assemble
for the county remembrance service in Rickerby Park at two thirty in
more information related to this memorial see (links open in new window):