Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


BALLYNAHINCH WAR MEMORIAL

World War 1 - Detailed information
Compiled and copyright © Paul Massey 2008

 
Photograph Copyright © Paul Massey 2008

IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM BALLYNAHINCH AND DISTRICT WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918

BAILIE

James

1/07/1916 Rifleman, 17219 Royal Irish Rifles "A Coy. 12th Bn. Age: 30 THIEPVAL MEMORIAL Son of William and Isabella Bailie, of Listooder, Crossgar, Co. Down.

12th (Service) Battalion (Central Antrim) Formed in County Antrim in September 1914, from the Antrim Volunteers. September 1914 : attached to 108th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division.

BLACK

Jas

16/08/1917 Corporal 23853 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 7th/8th Bn. Age: 22 TYNE COT MEMORIAL Son of James and Margaret Black, of Vianstown Road, DownPatrick.

Note: 7th (Service) Battalion Formed in Belfast in September 1914, as part of K2. September 1914 : attached to 48th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division. 5 March 1915 : joined by one Company from the Royal Jersey Militia. 23 August 1917 : transferred to 49th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division. 14 October 1917 : transferred to 108th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division. 14 November 1917 : absorbed by 2nd Bn.8th (Service) Battalion (East Belfast) Formed in Belfast in September 1914, from the Belfast Volunteers. September 1914 : attached to 107th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division. 29 August 1917 : amalgamated with 9th Bn, to form 8/9th Bn. 7 February 1918 : disbanded in France.14th (Service) Battalion (Young Citizens) Formed in Belfast in September 1914, from the Belfast Volunteers. September 1914 : attached to 109th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division. 18 February 1918 : disbanded in France.14th (Service) Battalion (Young Citizens) Formed in Belfast in September 1914, from the Belfast Volunteers. September 1914 : attached to 109th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division. 18 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

CAMPBELL

Randolph Churchill Bestall

06/04/1916 Rifleman Royal Irish Rifles 14th Bn. Age 21 HAMEL MILITARY CEMETERY, BEAUMONT-HAMEL Son of Mr. H. A. and Mrs. C. E. Campbell, of 16, Cyprus Park, Belfast. Native of Ballynahinch, Co. Down.

CLOKEY

Jas

01/09/1918 Private 40670 Canadian Machine Gun Corps 4th Bn. Age: 24 VIMY MEMORIAL Son of Mrs. Jane Clokey, of Ballykine, Ballynahinch, Co. Down, Ireland.

Note: On the opening day of the Battle of Arras, 9 April 1917, the four divisions of the Canadian Corps, fighting side by side for the first time, scored a huge tactical victory in the capture of the 60 metre high Vimy Ridge. After the war, the highest point of the ridge was chosen as the site of the great memorial to all Canadians who served their country in battle during the First World War, and particularly to the 60,000 who gave their lives in France. It also bears the names of 11,000 Canadian servicemen who died in France - many of them in the fight for Vimy Ridge - who have no known grave. The memorial was designed by W S Allward.

COOMBE

Barry

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

DAVIS

Chas

15/07/1916 Private 18573 Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) 28th Coy. Age: 22 THIEPVAL MEMORIAL Son of James R. and Ellen Davis, of Magheraknock, Ballynahinch, Co. Down.

DAVIS

Jas

04/07/1916 Private 8221 Royal Irish Regiment 2nd Bn. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL NONE

Note: 2nd Battalion August 1914 : in Tidworth. Part of 7th Brigade, 3rd Division. 8 October 1915 : transferred with Brigade to 25th Division. 26 October 1915 : transferred to 74th Brigade, 25th Division. 13 November 1917 : transferred to 108th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division, absorbing 7th Bn. 8 February 1918 : transferred to 107th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division.

DONNAN

Robert

24/07/1918 Rifleman 17/148 Royal Irish Rifles 15th Bn. Age: 35 BERTENACRE MILITARY CEMETERY, FLETRE Son of William John and Mary Donnan, of Cahard, Ballynahinch, Co. Down.

DOHERTY

William J

6/08/1917 Serjeant 4476 Royal Irish Rifles 1st Bn. Age: 40 TYNE COT MEMORIAL Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Husband of Sarah Doherty, of Tullywest, Saintfield, Co. Down. Served in India and in the South African Campaign.

The cemetery was made by French troops (as the Cemetery "du Calvaire de Bertenacre, from the crucifix on the main road), and used in July-September, 1918, after the Battles of the Lys, by the 36th (Ulster) Division. After the Armistice the 115 French and two German graves were removed, and British graves were brought in from the Royal West Surrey Cemetery, Fletre. There are now nearly 150, 1914-18 and over 30, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. One grave from the 1914-18 War, destroyed by shell fire, is represented by a special memorial. Most of the burials from the 1939-45 War were men of the 5th Cinque Ports Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment. The cemetery covers an area of 716 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall. The Royal West Surrey Cemetery, Fletre, was about 460 metres to the South-East. It contained the graves of 42 soldiers from the United Kingdom killed in an enemy air raid on the 18th August, 1917 (of whom 38 belonged to the 10th Queen's), and one Canadian soldier who fell in June, 1918.

DUFFIELD

Robert

01/07/1916 Rifleman 16449 Royal Irish Rifles 13th Bn. Age: 20 THIEPVAL MEMORIAL Son of William Duffield, of The Square, Ballynahinch, Co. Down.

Note: On 1 July 1916, supported by a French attack to the south, thirteen divisions of Commonwealth forces launched an offensive on a line from north of Gommecourt to Maricourt. Despite a preliminary bombardment lasting seven days, the German defences were barely touched and the attack met unexpectedly fierce resistance. Losses were catastrophic and with only minimal advances on the southern flank, the initial attack was a failure. In the following weeks, huge resources of manpower and equipment were deployed in an attempt to exploit the modest successes of the first day. However, the German Army resisted tenaciously and repeated attacks and counter attacks meant a major battle for every village, copse and farmhouse gained. At the end of September, Thiepval was finally captured. The village had been an original objective of 1 July. Attacks north and east continued throughout October and into November in increasingly difficult weather conditions. The Battle of the Somme finally ended on 18 November with the onset of winter. In the spring of 1917, the German forces fell back to their newly prepared defences, the Hindenburg Line, and there were no further significant engagements in the Somme sector until the Germans mounted their major offensive in March 1918. The Thiepval Memorial, the Memorial to the Missing of the Somme, bears the names of more than 72,000 officers and men of the United Kingdom and South African forces who died in the Somme sector before 20 March 1918 and have no known grave. Over 90% of those commemorated died between July and November 1916. The memorial also serves as an Anglo-French Battle Memorial in recognition of the joint nature of the 1916 offensive and a small cemetery containing equal numbers of Commonwealth and French graves lies at the foot of the memorial. The memorial, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, was built between 1928 and 1932 and unveiled by the Prince of Wales, in the presence of the President of France, on 31 July 1932. The dead of other Commonwealth countries who died on the Somme and have no known graves are commemorated on national memorials elsewhere.

ELLISON

William H. K

02/10/1918 Private, 49736 Royal Irish Fusiliers 9th Bn. TYNE COT MEMORIAL Son of John and Agnes Ellison, of Lisburn St., Ballynahinch, Co. Down.

GALWAY

Thomas Pat

Note: This name has proved to be a problem because there is more than one possibility and no solid evidence to show decisively which soldier this is. There are 17 Galway’s listed as war dead. Two of the more promising choices are A. Galway and Edward Galway who both served with the Royal Irish RiflesThe Menin Gate is one of four memorials to the missing in Belgian Flanders which cover the area known as the Ypres Salient. Broadly speaking, the Salient stretched from Langemarck in the north to the northern edge in Ploegsteert Wood in the south, but it varied in area and shape throughout the war. The Salient was formed during the First Battle of Ypres in October and November 1914, when a small British Expeditionary Force succeeded in securing the town before the onset of winter, pushing the German forces back to the Passchendaele Ridge. The Second Battle of Ypres began in April 1915 when the Germans released poison gas into the Allied lines north of Ypres. This was the first time gas had been used by either side and the violence of the attack forced an Allied withdrawal and a shortening of the line of defence. There was little more significant activity on this front until 1917, when in the Third Battle of Ypres an offensive was mounted by Commonwealth forces to divert German attention from a weakened French front further south. The initial attempt in June to dislodge the Germans from the Messines Ridge was a complete success, but the main assault north-eastward, which began at the end of July, quickly became a dogged struggle against determined opposition and the rapidly deteriorating weather. The campaign finally came to a close in November with the capture of Passchendaele. The German offensive of March 1918 met with some initial success, but was eventually checked and repulsed in a combined effort by the Allies in September. The battles of the Ypres Salient claimed many lives on both sides and it quickly became clear that the commemoration of members of the Commonwealth forces with no known grave would have to be divided between several different sites. The site of the Menin Gate was chosen because of the hundreds of thousands of men who passed through it on their way to the battlefields. It commemorates those of all Commonwealth nations (except New Zealand) who died in the Salient, in the case of United Kingdom casualties before 16 August 1917. Those United Kingdom and New Zealand servicemen who died after that date are named on the memorial at Tyne Cot, a site which marks the furthest point reached by Commonwealth forces in Belgium until nearly the end of the war. Other New Zealand casualties are commemorated on memorials at Buttes New British Cemetery and Messines Ridge British Cemetery. The YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL now bears the names of more than 54,000 officers and men whose graves are not known. The memorial, designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield with sculpture by Sir William Reid-Dick, was unveiled by Lord Plumer in July 1927.

GORDON

Geoffrey

30/04/1915 Lieutenant 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers Age: 34 YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Son of the Rev. Alexander Gordon, MA and Clara Maria Gordon (nee Boult), of 35, Rosemary St., Belfast.

GRAY

Henry

16/05/1915 Private 8436 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 2nd Bn. Age: 27 Service LE TOURET MEMORIAL Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Gray, of Mourne View, Ballynahinch, Co. Down. Came from Canada to enlist.

The Memorial in Le Touret Military Cemetery, Richebourg-l'Avoue, is one of those erected by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to record the names of the officers and men who fell in the Great War and whose graves are not known. It serves the area enclosed on the North by the river Lys and a line drawn from Estaires to Fournes, and on the South by the old Southern boundary of the First Army about Grenay; and it covers the period from the arrival of the II Corps in Flanders in 1914 to the eve of the Battle of Loos. It does not include the names of officers and men of Canadian or Indian Regiments; they are found on the Memorials at Vimy and Neuve-Chapelle.

GRIBBEN

Alex

 

09/09/1916 Private, 22996 Royal Dublin Fusiliers 9th Bn. CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION NONE

GUNNING

Walter

Lance Corporal 18990 Royal Irish Rifles 13th Bn. Age: 32 01/07/1916 THIEPVAL MEMORIAL Son of Hugh and Mary Ann Gunning, of Ballywalter; husband of Mary S. Gunning, of Ballywalter, Co. Down.

HARKNESS

Robert H.

07/08/1917 Lance Corporal, 1102 Royal Irish Rifles Unit 16th Bn Age: 21 YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Son of Edward and Mary Harkness, of Artana, Dromara, Co. Down.

HARPER

Matthew T.

23/11/1917 Serjeant, 16575 Royal Irish Rifles 13th Bn. MM MOEUVRES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION NONE

Note: The Military Medal was established in wartime Britain by King George V on 25 March 1916, a year and a half after Britain declared war against Germany. Its inception was intended to meet the enormous demand for medals during the First World War.The medal was initially awarded to NCOs and men of the Army (including the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Division) for individual or associated acts of bravery which were insufficient to merit an award of the Distinguished Conduct Medal (or DCM).

HEALY

James

Private 10700 Royal Irish Regiment 2nd Bn. 06/09/1914 ST. SYMPHORIEN MILITARY CEMETERY NONE

HILL

Samuel

22/10/1915 Rifleman, 19557 Royal Irish Rifles 12th Bn. Age: 23 DOULLENS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION No.1 Son of Samuel and Elizabeth Hill, of Rushpark, Whitehouse, Belfast.

HILL

William George

07/06/1917 Corporal 14/14884 Royal Irish Rifles 14th Bn. SPANBROEKMOLEN BRITISH CEMETERY Son of Alexander and Ellen Hill, of The Downs, Tullyhogue, Co. Tyrone.

Note: I question the accuracy of my choice here because this man came from Tullyhogue, County Tyrone and so was not in fact from the Ballynahinch District.

HOUSTON

Lawson

31/10/1914 Private, 7378 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY (NORD) NONE

Note: Bailleul was occupied on 14 October 1914 by the 19th Brigade and the 4th Division. It became an important railhead, air depot and hospital centre, with the 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 11th, 53rd, 1st Canadian and 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Stations quartered in it for considerable periods. It was a corps headquarters until July 1917, when it was severely bombed and shelled, and after the Battle of Bailleul (13-15 April 1918), it fell into German hands and was not retaken until 30 August 1918. The earliest Commonwealth burials at Bailleul were made at the east end of the communal cemetery and in April 1915, when the space available had been filled, the extension was opened on the east side of the cemetery. The extension was used until April 1918, and again in September, and after the Armistice graves were brought in from the neighbouring battlefields. BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY contains 610 Commonwealth burials of the First World War; 17 of the graves were destroyed by shell fire and are represented by special memorials. BAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION contains 4,403 Commonwealth burials of the First World War; 11 of the graves made in April 1918 were destroyed by shell fire and are represented by special memorials. There are also 17 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War and 154 German burials from both wars. Both the Commonwealth plot in the communal cemetery and the extension were designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

HOUSTON

William

5/08/1917 Rifleman, 19563 Royal Irish Rifles "C Coy. 11th Bn. Age 22 COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY Son of Stewart and Agnes Houston

HUNTER

Samuel

9/10/1916 Fourth Engineer Officer Mercantile Marine Unit S.S. "Lorca (London) Age: 22 TOWER HILL MEMORIAL Son of James and the late Margaret Hunter (formerly Brevings). Born at Belfast.

HUNTER

Robert

02/07/1916 Lance Corporal 776 Royal Irish Rifles 8th Bn. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL NONE

SCOTT

David Harden

12/11/1917 Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps 65th Sqdn. Age 21 MC PONT-DU-HEM MILITARY CEMETERY, LA GORGUE Son of Matthew and Elizabeth Scott, of 11, Dufferin Avenue, Bangor, Co. Down.

Note: The Military Cross is awarded to commissioned and warrant officers for distinguished and meritorious service in battle. For additional acts of bravery, a straight silver bar was awarded. During the First World War 2,885 of these medals were awarded to British officers.

KERR

Alex

25/10/1918 Rifleman 15072 Royal Irish Rifles 12th Bn. Age: 24 HARLEBEKE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY Son of Elizabeth Kerr, of 28, Linview St., Grosvenor Rd., Belfast, and the late Robert Kerr.

Note: Harlebeke village was taken on the night of 19-20 October 1918 by the 9th (Scottish) Division. Harlebeke New British Cemetery was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the surrounding battlefields of 1918 and, in 1924-25, from German cemeteries or plots in Belgium. The earlier concentrations are in Plots I and X, and the later in Plots I, II and XI to XIX. In the latter group are many graves of October 1914. In May 1940, The British Expeditionary Force was involved in the later stages of the defence of Belgium following the German invasion, and suffered many casualties in covering the withdrawal to Dunkirk. Commonwealth forces did not return until September 1944. The cemetery now contains 1,116 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 181 of the burials are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one casualty who is believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of 19 casualties buried by the Germans in other burial grounds whose graves could not be found on concentration. There are also ten burials of the Second World War in the cemetery. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.

KINCAN

Alex

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

McBRATNEY

J.B

6/05/1916 Rifleman 2907 Royal Irish Rifles 14th Bn. Age: 24 AUTHUILE MILITARY CEMETERY Son of Samuel and Anna B. McBratney, of The Toy, Killyleagh, Co. Down.

Note: The village was held by British troops from the summer of 1915 to March, 1918, when it was captured in the German Offensive on the Somme; it was ruined by shell fire even before that date. It was later "adopted by the Urban District of Leyton. The Military Cemetery was used by Field Ambulances and fighting units from August, 1915 to December, 1916, and in 1917 and 1918 by Indian Labour Companies. There are now over 450, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 40 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 18 soldiers from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. The graves of two other German soldiers have been removed. The cemetery covers an area of 2,650 square metres and is enclosed by a low concrete curb.

McGOUBREY

Robert

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

McGINNIS

J.

05/06/1917 Private 27294 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 8th Bn. LA LAITERIE MILITARY CEMETERY Son of Mr. J. McGinniss, of Carnakilly, Eglinton, Londonderry.

Note: He is the only J.McGinnis listed but comes from Derry

McKEE

Geo

 

08/10/1918 Rifleman,19110 Royal Irish Rifles 16th Bn. HAUTMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY There is an H McKee from DownPatrick

McKIBBIN

Fred (Mckibbin, John Hill)

09/05/1915 Corporal 6079 Royal Irish Rifles 1st Bn. Age: 22 PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL Son of James and Mary McKibbin, of 47, Robert St., Newtownards, Co. Down

McPARLAND

Peter

Private 8080 Royal Irish Rifles 06/11/1914 LIVERPOOL (KIRKDALE) CEMETERY Served as GALWAY. Husband of Edith Smyth (formerly McParland), of Magherknock, Ballynahinch, Co. Down.

Note: During the two world wars, the United Kingdom became an island fortress used for training troops and launching land, sea and air operations around the globe. There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The graves, many of them privately owned and marked by private memorials, will be found in more than 12,000 cemeteries and churchyards. In December 1914, Liverpool became one of the 21 Auxiliary Patrol Bases and in February 1915, the base of the 10th Cruiser Squadron. During the Second World War, Liverpool was headquarters of Western Approaches Command and a manning depot for officers and men of the Merchant Navy who agreed to serve with the Royal Navy for the duration of the war. A large Canadian hospital, which became No. 5 Canadian General Hospital, opened at Kirkdale in July 1917 and of the 386 First World War burials in Liverpool (Kirkdale) Cemetery, more than 100 are Canadian. Of the remainder, 82 are of officers and men of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment. About half of the graves from this period are scattered throughout the cemetery and the rest are contained in two war graves plots, where the names of the dead are recorded on screen walls. There are also 115 Second World War burials in the cemetery, nine of them in one of the First World War plots, the rest scattered. This cemetery also contains nine war graves of other nationalities. Originally, there were many more, including American and German from the First World War and Belgian from both wars, but these were later removed to other national cemeteries in the United Kingdom or repatriated to their home country.

MARSH

Joseph

23/11/1917 Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Rifles 15th Bn. CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL NONE

MARTIN

Henry

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

MARTIN

James

1/03/1920 Captain Royal Irish Regiment 6th Bn. attd. Staff A.P.M. GIBRALTAR (NORTH FRONT) CEMETERY NONE

Note: The cemetery was used throughout the 1914-1918 War for the burial of sailors and soldiers who died on ships passing Gibraltar, or in the Military Hospital. The 1914-1918 War Graves are scattered in the different divisions of the cemetery. After that war, a Cross of Sacrifice was erected to the West of the cemetery, close to the sea, at the junction of the road into Spain and the Devil's Tower Road. Twenty-three burials belong to H.M.S. "Britannia, sunk by a submarine off Cape Trafalgar on the 9th November, 1918. There are also many graves of merchant sailors who died during the war from natural causes. The majority of the men who lost their lives while at Gibraltar during the 1939-1945 War are buried here. Most of their graves are in two adjacent plots at the northern end of the cemetery, but some are also scattered in other parts. The cemetery is situated on Crown land, and (with the exception of those privately owned) all the War Graves in it are registered in perpetuity in the Commission's name.

MELVILLE

Robert Love

11/04/1916 Sapper, 57634 Royal Engineers 121st Field Coy. Age 19 BEAUVAL COMMUNAL CEMETERY Son of William and Eliza Jane Melville, of DownPatrick, Co. Down

MOORE

James

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

MORAN

Francis

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

MORRISON

Hans

18/08/1917 Lance Corporal, 6035 Royal Irish Rifles 13th Bn. Age: 32 BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY No.3 Son of Francis and Agnes Morrison, of Meeting St., Ballynahinch, Co. Down

NEWELL

Thomas

26/09/1916 Rifleman, 18/1042 Royal Irish Rifles 14th Bn. POND FARM CEMETERY Son of Mr. T. Newell, of Kilmore, Grassgar, Co. Down

O’HARE

Patrick

12/07/1916 Private 9398 Irish Guards 1st Bn. Age: 23 LA BRIQUE MILITARY CEMETERY No.2 Son of Patrick O'Hare, of Dunbeg, Ballynahinch, Co. Down.

PATTERSON

Samuel

8/08/1917 Rifleman 18610 Royal Irish Rifles "A Coy. 11th Bn. Age: 39 YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Son of Mary Ann Patterson, of 26, Old Hillsborough Rd., Lisburn, Co. Antrim.

SCANDRETT

Robert

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

SCOTT

David Harden

12/11/1917 Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps 65th Sqdn. Age 21 MC PONT-DU-HEM MILITARY CEMETERY, LA GORGUE Son of Matthew and Elizabeth Scott, of 11, Dufferin Avenue, Bangor, Co. Down.

SCOTT

J. Herbert

6/03/1917 Rifleman 6096 Royal Irish Rifles 1st Bn. Age: 18 FINS NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, SOREL-LE-GRAND Son of Margaret Taylor (formerly Scott), of Drumnascamph, Rathfriland, Co. Down, and the late Joseph Scott

Note: Fins and Sorel were occupied at the beginning of April, 1917, in the German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line. They were lost on the 23rd March, 1918, after a stubborn defence of Sorel by the 6th K.O.S.B. and the staff of the South African Brigade; and they were regained in the following September. The first British burials at Fins were carried out in the Churchyard and the Churchyard Extension, and the New British Cemetery was not begun until July, 1917. It was used by fighting units (especially the 40th, 61st (South Midland) and 9th (Scottish) Divisions) and Field Ambulances until March, 1918, when it comprised about 590 graves in Plots I to IV. It was then used by the Germans, who added 255 burials, including 26 British, in Plots IV, V, and VI. In September and October, 1918, about 73 British soldiers were buried by the 33rd and other Divisions, partly in Plots I and II, but mainly in Plots V and VI. Lastly, Plots VII and VIII were made, and other Plots completed, by the concentration of 591 graves after Armistice from Fins Churchyard Extension and other cemeteries and from the surrounding battlefields. The cemeteries from which graves were concentrated to Fins New British Cemetery were the following:- EQUANCOURT CHURCHYARD, where three soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried in 1917 and 1918. FINS CHURCHYARD, in which nine soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried in April, 1917. FINS CHURCHYARD EXTENSION, which was on the North side of the churchyard, within the enclosure of a house. It contained the graves of 121 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Canada, who fell in April July, 1917, and one German soldier who fell in March, 1918. SOREL-LE-GRAND GERMAN CEMETERY, on the West side of the village, opposite the Communal Cemetery. Here were buried, some by the enemy and some by their comrades, 17 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in 1916-1918. There are now 1289, First World War casualties commemorated in this site. Of these 208 are unidentified, and special memorials are erected to nine soldiers from the United Kingdom who are believed to be buried among them. Another special memorial records the name of a soldier from the United Kingdom, buried in Fins Churchyard Extension, whose grave could not be found on concentration. Nine graves in Plot VIII, Row E, identified as a whole but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the words: "Buried near this spot. There are also 276 Foreign National casualties commemorated here. This cemetery was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

SIMPSON

Johnston Hill

07/06/1917 Rifleman, 19/448 Royal Irish Rifles 14th Bn. Age 27 SPANBROEKMOLEN BRITISH CEMETERY Son of Robert H. and Sarah Simpson, of Creeveytenant, Ballynahinch, Co. Down; husband of Isabella Simpson, of 62, Battenberg St., Belfast.

SMYTH

James

06/08/1917 Rifleman, 18786 Royal Irish Rifles 13th Bn. Age: 21 POTIJZE CHATEAU GROUNDS CEMETERY Native of Comber, Belfast. Son of David and Elizabeth Smyth, of 49, Beersbridge Rd., Belfast.

Note: Potijze was within the Allied lines during practically the whole of the First Word War and although subject to incessant shell fire, Potijze Chateau contained an advanced dressing station. Potijze Chateau Grounds Cemetery was used from May 1915 to September 1918 and at the end of the war, consisted of Plot I. Plot II was formed after the Armistice when graves were brought in from isolated sites and small burial grounds to the north-east. A path separates the cemetery from Potijze Chateau Lawn Cemetery, used from May to December 1915, July 1917 and October 1918. Potijze Chateau Grounds Cemetery contains 476 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, 111 of which are unidentified. The Lawn Cemetery contains 226 burials. Both cemeteries were designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

WATSON

John

Note: One of several possible identifications WATSON, JOHN Rifleman Royal Irish Rifles 1st Bn 16/08/1917 9124 TYNE COT MEMORIAL Rifleman Royal Irish Rifles 13th Bn. 16/08/1917 Service No: 6039 TYNE COT MEMORIAL Rifleman Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles 12th Bn. Age: 19 21/03/1918 1425 Brother of Mrs. Agnes Black, of 11, Hemp St., Belfast POZIERES MEMORIAL

WOOD

Christopher T.

NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD NO CWGC RECORD

Last updated 17 October, 2009

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore