Romford war memorial is situated in the Memorial Gardens at the rear
of the Town Hall, Romford. It was originally erected in Laurie Square
but was moved to Coronation Gardens in about 1969 when the square
was swept away with the construction of the ring-road. It takes the
form of of a Portland stone croos mounted on a Portland stone plinth
and base. The plinth bears the inscription. Around the base of the
plinth are inscribed the names of those who gave their lives; these
have still to be transcribed. The orginal memorial was unveiled on
18th September 1921 by Lord Lambourne; the architect was Mr J W Hammond.
The the Second World War names were added to the memorial on 10 November
1996. A stone placed in front of the memorial records the addition
the names of the civilians who died during the Second World War. The
memorial lists the names of the 360 who died in the First World War,
and the 255 and 141 civilians who died in the Second World War. These
names are also recorded on panels at the Romford War Memorial Old
Folks Club, 21a Eastern Road, Romford.