Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion

HARPENDEN WAR MEMORIAL

World War 1 & 2 - Roll of Honour with detailed information
Compiled and copyright © Martin Edwards 2014

The Harpeden War Memorial stands at the junction of the High Street and Church Green, on Church Green. It takes the form of a three stepped base mounted on which is a is a rough hewn Cornish granite plinth topped by a shaft holding a Celtic wheel cross with a knotwork design. There are gun metal plaques on the sides of the plinth and the cross has four bosses, one in the centre and one at each end of the three arms. There are 164 names listed for World War 1 and 110 for World War 2. The memorial was unveiled by Field Marshall The Earl of Cavan and dedicated 9th October 1920; it was rededicated when the World War 2 names were added by the Rector of Harpenden 6th November 1949. Monies were raised by public subscription and the site cost about £900. The craftsmen who worked on the memorial were G B Goslin & Son (Founders), Mr Ernest Hasseldine (Designer), Mr Stanley Salisbury (Architect), Mr Charles W Latter (Architect), John Freeman, Sons & Co. Ltd 9Masons) and Mr Low Giddings (Builder). An additional name for World War 2 was added in 1996.
Photograph from an old postcard

TO THE
GLORIOUS MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF HARPENDEN
WHO FOUGHT AND DIED
IN THE GREAT WARS
1914 - 1919
THEIR NAME
LIVETH FOR EVERMORE

1914 OUR GLORIOUS DEAD 1919
1939 OUR GLORIOUS DEAD 1945

ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF HARPENDEN
IN GRATITUDE LOVE AND PRIDE

Transcription still required

Last updated 4 March, 2014

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore