- BOER WAR - MEN WHO DIED WAR MEMORIAL
- Detailed information
Compiled and Copyright © Martin Edwards 2003
Royal Artillery Boer War memorial stands on the corner of Horse Guards
Parade and the Mall, at the north-east corner of St James Park. A sculpture
surmounts pedestal of Portland stone decorated with a bronze frieze.
A plinth rests on a granite platform, with a curved back wall, with
pillars at either end. A winged figure of peace controls a horse (the
spirit of war). There are bronze panels on pillars at the ends of back
wall, the outer flanks of pillars having bronze plates upon which are
listed the names of the dead. The names listed in the dedication booklet
lists 1,078 names which are avaiulable here in the form of a database.
The memorial was unveiled on 20th July 1920 by H.R.H. Prince Arthur,
Duke of Connaught; the sculptor was W R Colton.
Copyright © Martin Edwards 2003
the names listed on the memorial
5 April, 2008