War 1 & 2 - Detailed information
Compiled & Copyright © Dai Bevan 2008
additional information Martin Edwards
memorial is located on Ealing Green at the entrance to the old main
library in Pitshanger Manor House near the junction of Mattock Lane
and Bond Street, Ealing, London W5. It takes the form of two quadrant
walls bearing names with four piers, two flanking the gates and two
at extremities of the walls, all surmounted by stone vases. In the central
section are two wrought iron gates. There are 1,058 names listed for
World War 1 and 512 for World War 2. The memorial was originally dedicated
13th November 1921. The World War II names are added on two ‘wings’
each side of the memorial, and also on a small number of separate panels,
above those of World War 1.
an old postcard
Copyright © P Phillips 2008
PRODUCT AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE
MEN OF THIS BOROUGH WHO LAID DOWN
THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WARS, 1914-1918 1939 – 1945.
NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"
COME TRANSFIGURED BACK, SECURE FROM CHANGE IN THEIR HIGH-HEARTED WAYS.
BEAUTIFUL EVERMORE, AND WITH THE RAYS OF MORN
ON THEIR WHITE SHEILDS OF EXPECTATION
memorial, because of its size, has been split into alphabetical sections
within conflict. Click on the appropriate letter within a section
to see the relevant surname page.
15 September, 2008