ROAD CEMETERY, MARICOURT, SOMME, FRANCE
is a village situated on the D938, Albert-Peronne Road, 10.5 kilometres
from Albert. The Cemetery is on the western outskirts of the village.
Copyright © Steve Charlesworth 2009
was, at the beginning of the Battles of the Somme 1916, the point of
junction of the British and French forces, and within a very short distance
of the front line; it was lost in the German advance of March 1918,
and recaptured at the end of the following August. The Cemetery, originally
known as Maricourt Military Cemetery No.3, was begun by fighting units
and Field Ambulances in the Battles of the Somme 1916, and used until
August 1917; a few graves were added later in the War, and at the Armistice
it consisted of 175 graves which now form almost the whole of Plot I.
It was completed after the Armistice by the concentration of graves
from the battlefields in the immediate neighbourhood and from certain
smaller burial grounds, including:- AUTHUILE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION,
which was on the South side of the Communal Cemetery. It contained the
graves of 108 French soldiers and those of 23 from the United Kingdom
who fell in 1915 and early 1916. BRIQUETERIE EAST CEMETERY, MONTAUBAN,
on the East side of the brick-works between Maricourt and Montauban,
containing the graves of 46 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell
in the latter half of 1916. CARNOY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, in which
36 French soldiers and one from the United Kingdom were buried in March
1918. CASEMENT TRENCH CEMETERY, MARICOURT, on the West side of the road
to the Briqueterie, in which 163 soldiers from the United Kingdom and
one from South Africa were buried in 1916-1918. FARGNY MILL FRENCH MILITARY
CEMETERY, CURLU, on the North bank of the Somme, in which six soldiers
from the United Kingdom and two from Australia were buried in 1916-1918.
LA COTE MILITARY CEMETERY, MARICOURT, a little way West of Peronne Road
Cemetery, containing the graves of 38 soldiers from the United Kingdom
and one from Australia who fell in 1916-1917. MARICOURT FRENCH MILITARY
CEMETERY, on the South side of the village, containing the graves of
two soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in December 1916. MONTAUBAN
ROAD FRENCH MILITARY CEMETERY, MARICOURT, in which six men of the 1st/8th
King's Liverpools were buried in August 1916. TALUS BOISE BRITISH CEMETERY,
CARNOY, between Carnoy and Maricourt, at the South end of a long copse.
It was used in the latter half of 1916 and (chiefly by the 5th Royal
Berks) in August 1918, and it contained the graves of 175 soldiers from
the United Kingdom and five from South Africa. There are now 1348, 1914-18
war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, 366 are unidentified
and special memorials are erected to 26 soldiers from the United Kingdom
known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record
the names of three soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in other
cemeteries, whose graves could not be found. The cemetery covers an
area of 3,787 square metres and is enclosed on three sides by a low
red brick wall.
are 982 identified casulaties in the cemetery.
extracted from the Commonwealth
War Graves Commission web site.
24 August, 2009