Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion

OXFORD WAR MEMORIALS

World War 1 & 2 - Roll of Honour with detailed information
Compiled and copyright © Martin Edwards 2008

The memorial stands beside St Giles Church at the junction of Woodstock Road, Banbury Road and St Giles. It takes the form of a large stone cross mounted on an octagonal plinth with a seven-stepped base. The cross has a foliated design on its head and the carvings surrounding the plinth include the Arms of Oxford, and anchir with wings, a Cross of St george, a thorn twined cross, a bugle and the University Arms. There are no names on the cross for any conflict. The memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Oxford and unveiled by general Sir Robert Fanshawe 8th July 1921. The memrial cost £1,400 to erect, the builders being Messrs Wooldridge & Simpson and the designers Messers J E Thorpes. Details appeared in the Oxford Times 15th July 1921.

Photograph Copyright © Martin Edwards 2008

IN
MEMORY
OF
THOSE WHO
FOUGHT AND
THOSE WHO
FELL
1914-1918

AND
1939 - 1945

AND ALL OTHER WHO HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES
IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY

Last updated 20 October, 2008

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore