Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion

Bedfordshire Volunteer Regiments

As well as the Bedfordshire Regiment existed some Volunteer Regiments, in 1806 these comprised of:

  • Bedford Infantry under Lieutenant-Colonel Samuel Whitbread, a total of 418 men whose uniform was red with green collar and cuffs with blue breeches/pantaloons.

  • Bedfordshire Cavalry under Colonel The Earl of Upper Ossory, a total of 142 men whose uniform was blue with red collar and cuffs, the officers wearing gold lace, the buttons were gold and the breeches/pantaloons blue.

  • Bedfordshire Infantry also under Colonel The Earl of Upper Ossory, a total of 1,300 men whose uniform was red with green collar and cuffs, the officers wearing gold lace, the buttons were gold and the breeches/pantaloons blue.

  • Bedfordshire Yeomanry founded as a volunteer cavalry unit in 1794, disbanded in 1827, refounded as the Duke of Manchester's Light Horse Volunteers in 1859, disbanded c.1882; then re-founded as Compton's Horse in 1899, served in South Africa, became Bedfordshire Imperial Yeomanry in 1920, and converted to artillery in 1920. The unit was only connected to yeoman farmers to the extent that many of them joined its ranks.
Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore