HORSE ARTILLERY - WORLD WAR 1
RHA was responsible for light, mobile guns that provided firepower
in support of the cavalry. It is the senior arm of the artillery.
In 1914 the establishment was one battery to each Brigade of Cavalry.
A battery had six 13-pounder field guns, and included 5 officers
and 200 men. The battery had in addition 228 horses. The original
BEF included only one Division of Cavalry, of 4 Brigades, and thus
it had four batteries RHA, which were organised into two Brigades.
For further details see The
Long, Long Trail - Royal Horse Artillery 1914-1918
following photographs awere taken in, and around, the village of
Tohogne, Belgium and have been kindly lent for display here by François
Bellin, amateur historian of the village of Tohogne.
15 August, 2008