is to be found at the Gordon Street entrance to Glasgow Central Railway
Station, Gordon Street, Glasgow. It takes the form of an elaborate
plaque fixed to the south front of the stone arches leading to Gordon
Street. At the top is device of lion rampant, enclosed within a wreath.
On each side of the memorial is a flag and wreath combination with
a crown at the peak of the staff, bound with wreaths of laurel attached
to the central panel that contains the inscription. The names are
listed in six columns with a palm tree branch, symbolic of peace at
their foot. In front of the memorial was a collecting box fashioned
from artillery shells of various calibres, with a plaque on the largest
which was lost by May 2018 so an additional World War 2 plaque has
been added to the plinth. The memorial was unveiled
on 5 November 1921 by Lt-Gen. Sir Francis J Davies, KCB, KCMG, KCVO,
and dedicated by Rev. Dr. James MacGibbon, M.C. There are 705 names
listed, these are listed in alphabetical sections here. See below.
© martin Edwards 2022