Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion

PAISLEY WAR MEMORIAL

World War 1 & 2 - Detailed Information
Compiled & Copyright © Martin Edwards 2008

The Paisley war memorial stands in Gilmour Street, Paisley, Strathclyde, at the junction of Gilmour Street and Moss Street in the town centre. It takes the form of a grey granite pedestal surmounted by armoured crusader on charger, flanked by four infantrymen trudging through mud the whole surrounded by retaining walls on three sides. On the memorial plinth can be found the arms of the burgh, a shield and pennant of a knight bear the cross of St Andrew. There are shields on the Dexter and Sinister sides of plinth which bear crosses of St Andrew and St George. On the east and west sides are palm branches with a crown at the top and carved below in raised lettering are the names of the countries from World War 1 and World War 2 in which the men fought. There are no names of the fallen listed oon the memorial. It was orginally unveiled on Sunday 27th July 1924, the foundry used was Messrs. J W Singer and Son Ltd, the architect Sir Robert Lorimer, the builder Mr Neil McLeod and the sculptor Mrs Alice Meredith Williams. The memorial was cleaned and restored in 1991.
From an old postcard

1914 - 1919
TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE 1,953 MEN OF PAISLEY
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR

Last updated 12 July, 2008

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore