from Glasgow Herald dated 17th December 1880
GARTH CASTLE was a Castle Line ship built at Clyde (Elder)
in 1880 and launched 16th December 1880, 3,660 tons, 13½
knots, 365 feet by 43 feet, compound engines, single screw.
She could carry 120 first passengers, 100 second and 160 third.
She was named after the castle which Donald Currie, founder
of the line, bought in 1880. In January 1900 she was used
to transport the City Imperial Volunteers to South Africa
to fight in the Boer War. In 1901 she was so to Elder Dempster
& co. and became the ISMAILIA (Khedivial Mail). In 1921
she was sold to Soc. Armatrice Radivo-Frausin, Trieste and
became the BRUNETTE. In 1923 she was scrapped. She was sister
ship to DRUMMOND CATLE (1881-1896) and similar to HAWARDEN
CASTLE (1883-1905), NORMAN CASTLE (1883-1903) and ROSLIN CASTLE
The GARTH CASTLE that was
built after this ship served in the First World War as a hospital
ship but it is not this ship.