Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


H.M. Hospital Ship Valdivia was a French passenger ship, built 1911 by Chantiers & Ateliers de Provence, Port de Bouc for Societe Generale de Transports Maritimes a Vapeur, Marseilles. She was 7,137 gross tons, length 463ft x beam 54.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15½ knots and used on their South America service to Buenos Aires. In 1915 she was lent to the British Admiralty for use as a hospital ship, managed by Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company. In 1919 she was returned to her owners and in 1933 scrapped at Savona.

Last updated 3 February, 2009

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © 2002-

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore