Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


H.M. Hospital Ship was built by Wm Beardmore & Company Dalmuir, Yard No 505 in 1912 for the Adelaide Steamship Company. She was 7,713 gross tonnes and measured 413 ft by 57 feet; she was a steamvessel capable of 16 knots and could carry 546 casualties. Initially she was requisitioned first as His Majesty's Australian Troopship, and then as a Military Hospital Ship. She served from 25th July 1916 to 3rd August 1918 and was used on the Southampton - Le Havre route.

On 3rd August 1918, at 1.30 am, while on a voyage from Le Havre, she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC-49 in the English Channel. There were 471 sick and wounded on board, 439 of these were cot cases. The losses were very heavy - 115 patients, one nursing sister, and an RAMC orderly. The rest of the patients, staff and crew were evacuated from the ship within an hour. She sank 30 minutes later.

Last updated 15 August, 2008

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © 2002-

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore