Ceres, built by John Brown, launched 23rd March 1917. Arrived
at Blyth for breaking up 12th July 1946.
1918 Ceres joined the 6th, Light Cruiser Squadron, the following
year she was operating in the Mediterranean as a member of the
3rd Cruiser Squadron. During 1920 the cruiser spent some time
deployed in the Black Sea. In 1927 Ceres was in the U.K. for
deployment with the Home Fleet. During 1929-1931 was spent refitting
and in reserve.
1939 Ceres recommissioned from the Reserve Fleet and was sent
on Northern Patrol in the Denmark Strait between Iceland and
Greenland. In January 1940, Ceres was refitted by Harland &
Wolff at Belfast, Northern Ireland. On February 15th she sailed
from Devonport to Gibraltar. During March while based at Malta,
she took part in contraband patrols in the Ionian Sea, Straits
of Otranto and off the coast of Greece. During April-May 1940,
the old cruiser was now based at Singapore and carried out patrols
off the Dutch East Indies coast. In June she went to Colombo
and later to Bombay when Ceres convoyed tankers from the Arabian
Gulf to Aden. She spent several months off the east coast of
Africa, based at Mombassa. Whilst on patrol off the coast of
Somaliland she was called upon to assist in the evacuation of
troops and civilians from British Somaliland to Aden bombarding
the various enemy positions with shellfire. After this incident
she was involved in convoy duties between Durban and Cape Town.
Later that year she was sent to the Seychelles and other islands
to search for German commerce raiders. From 4 until 9 August
1940 the cruiser assisted with the evacuation of civilians and
sick personnel from British Somaliland, which was occupied by
the Italians. She also assisted in the evacuation of Commonwealth
soldiers from Berbera (British Somaliland). In February 1941
Ceres blockaded Kisimayu in support of the offensive against
Italian Somaliland, in company with the British cruisers HMS
Hawkins, HMS Capetown and the British destroyer HMS Kandahar.
On New Years day 1942, convoy WS-14 arrived in South Africa
from the U.K. with reinforcements for the Middle East, The convoy
consisted of 18 ships, Ceres and the sloop HMS Bridgewater provided
the escort. Ceres spent two months in the Persian Gulf, and
then arrived at Simonstown for a three month refit.She was then
based at Aden and she also participated in the fall of Djibouti.
She completed that year employed on convoy duties to Durban.
In October 1943, Ceres returned to Devonport having steamed
235,000 miles since the outbreak of war.
June 6th, Operation "Neptune" the amphibious landings
on Normandy, Ceres was employed as a depot ship to the Eastern
Task Force. The following October it was decided to reduce her
to reserve and use her as an accommodation/base ship at Portsmouth.
In July 1946, the old cruiser was broken up for scrap at Bolckow,
15 August, 2008