Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


Built at Cammell Laird in Portsmouth Dockyard, laid down January 1912, completed March 1914, cost £1,945,824. Iron Duke class. Iron Duke was the first British battleship to be fitted with anti-aircraft guns in 1914 when two 12 pounder guns were fitted to the after superstructure. She was also the only member of her class to have torpedo nets but these were removed during trials and they were not fitted to future battleships. Her full compliment was 589. Between August 1914 and January 1917 she was the Flagship of Grand Fleet under Admiral Sir John Jellicoe and then Sir David Beatty. On 12th January 1916 she collided with oil tanker Prudentia which sank. She was present at the Battle of Jutland 1916 firing 90, 13.5 inch, rounds and received no damage. In 1931 she was used as a gunnery training ship and Base Ship for the Home Fleet between 1939 and 1945. She was evetually sold for scrap 2nd March 1946 and was scrapped at Faslane in Scotland 19th August 1946. Length 614 feet 3 inches waterline 623 feet 9 inches overall, beam 90 feet 1 inches, draught 32 feet 9 inches (deep), displacement 26,100 tons load, 31,400 tons deep. Propulsion: 4 shaft Parsons turbines, S.H.P 31,000 giving a top speed of 21.25 knots this was reduced to 18 knots with mutilated boiler power. Displacement 21,250 tons.

Last updated 15 August, 2008

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © 2002-

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore