Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


HMS Vindictive was a Training Ship built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, laid down 29th June 1916, launched 17th January 1918 and commissioned 1st October 1918 as HMS "Cavendish", a cruiser. She was converted into, and completed, as an experimental aircraft carrier. She was therefore re-designed with a hangar on the forecastle with capacity for six aircraft which could be hoisted through a hatch to the roof, which formed a flying-off deck. This was connected by catwalks to a landing-on deck constructed abaft the funnels, while buffer nets prevented overruns that could have collided with the superstructure. The original cruiser armament was reduced to four 7.5-in guns. She was renamed HMS "Vindictive" at the end of World War, June 1918, since it was desired to perpetuate the name of the old Arrogant class cruiser Vindictive which had distinguished herself in the Zeebrugge Raid of April 1918 and had been sunk as a blockship at Ostend in May.

She was decommissioned in 1946. Laid down she was re-designed and completed as a seaplane carrier, 1.

Between 1923-1925 she was rebuilt as a cruiser and appears in this photograph with her main armament removed and in use as a Training Ship. After the outbreak of World War 2 in September 1939, she was converted for use as a Repair Ship serving in the South Atlantic and with the Mediterranean Fleet.
Her roles chronologically are:
  • 1918-1923 Seaplane Carrier
  • 1925-1934 Cruiser
  • 1934-1939 Training Ship
  • 1940-1946 Fleet Repair Ship

For more details see Wikipedia

Last updated 15 August, 2008

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © 2002-

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore