Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion

SS CITY OF VIENNA

The SS City of Vienna was built by Workman, Clark & Co Ltd, Belfast in 1889 for the City Line. She was a 4,682 gross ton ship, length 421.3ft x beam 46.7ft, one funnel, three masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 50-1st, 50-2nd and 1,900-3rd class passengers. Launched on 7th December 1889 she sailed for the (Ellerman) City Line except for a period starting May 1906 when she was chartered to the Allan Line and completed three round voyages between Glasgow, Liverpool and Philadelphia in 1901 taken over by JRE and in 1906 chartered to the Allan Line for three voyages. She was used during the Boer War (1899-1902) as a transport. In 1913 she was sold to the National Greek Line and renamed Thessalonika. She commenced her first voyage for these owners on 16th February 1914 when she left Piraeus for Kalamata, Patras, Palermo and New York. On 24th November 1915 she sailed from Piraeus for New York but called for assistance on 22nd December with disabled engines. The National Greek Line vessel "Patris" attempted unsuccesfully to tow her to port, and she was eventually scuttled on 5th January 1916 when 350 miles east of Sandy Hook

Last updated 15 August, 2008

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore