Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


The SS Devanha was built by Caird & Company Greenock. She was launched 16th Decmeber 1905 as a Passenger/Cargo Liner on the United Kingdom to India/China route. Her gross tonage was 8,092, lenght 470 feet, breadth 56 feet. She was owned by Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company. Her maiden voyage was 1st March 1906 from the Royal LAbert Dock, London. On 16th September 1914 she was requisitioned and left Bombay for the Mediterranean as Troopship No. 5, in 1915 she took part in the Dardenelles campaign. She was converted to a hospital ship in April 1915. She picked up survivors of the Chantala on 9th April 1916, after the ship had been torpedoed and sunk, and landed them at Malta. She served in the Persian Gulf, East Africa and Bombay/Suez between 1916 and April 1919 when she was reconverted to a troopship. She was sold for scrapping 21st March 1928.

For more information see the Clydesite website

Last updated 15 August, 2008

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © 2002-

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore