Isle of Guernsey was built in 1930 by Denny & Bros, Dumbarton,
for the Southern Railway Company for the Southampton to Channel
Islands ferry service as a twin-screw, oil burning steam ship.
During World War 2 she carried Royal Air Force contingents to
France on 4th September 1939 and was converted to a Hospital Ship
in October 1939. She took part in the evacuation from Dunkirk,
bringing back 839 wounded and was damaged during the operation
of 29th May and put out of action. She was then converted to an
Infantry Landing Ship in September 1943, with 6 landing craft
and capable of carrying 250 troops and took part in the D-Day
landings on Normandy when she carried Canadian troops. She was
scrapped in 1961.