Isle of Jersey was built in 1929 by Denny & Bros, Dumbarton,
for the Southern Railway Company for the Southampton to Channel
Islands ferry service, and delivered in January 1930 Withdrawn
from service end March 1959.
served as a Hospital Ship (No. 3), in Northern Waters, during
World War II, based at Scapa Flow. She was converted to a Landing
Ship for Infantry and arrived off Sword Beach on the 8th June
1944, leaving on the 9th June, thus playing her part in the D-Day
to Mohammed Senussi Giabor for pilgrim service under the Libyan
flag 2nd May 1960 and renamed "Libda", a service she
was never to enter. After lay-up in Tripoli she was eventually
sold to be scrapped in La Spezia early in 1963.
Southern Railway Company was created in 1923 by the merger of
the London & South Western Railway, the London, Brighton &
South Coast Railway and the South Eastern & Chatham Railway
Companies. The Southern Railway took over all the fleets and routes
of these companies.