King Edward was built by William Denny & Brothers Ltd, Dumbarton
1901. Her propulsion was direct drive triple screw steam turbines
(by Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Co Ltd, Wallsend). She was owned
by The Turbine Steamers Syndicate compeising Turbine Steamers
Ltd, Williamson Buchanan Steamers Ltd and Caledonian Steam Packet
Co Ltd. She was in service between 1901 and 1951. Her tonnage
was net 222, gross 551.
was an elegant and historic ship, being the world's first commercial
turbine drive ship. She was built originally with five propellors,
but two were later removed. She had a speed of over 20 knots and
her smooth running machinery made her a favourite for over 50
years. Requisitioned in 1915 she sailed in the English Channel
and also as a hospital ship to Russia. Her return trip was subject
to extreme weather and she docked many days late when she arrived
back at Aberdeen. In 1927 she joined Williamson Buchanan Steamers
Ltd, in whose service she is probably best remembered. She was
in collisions twice, first with Duchess of Argyll in July 1925
and later, in the Second World War, when she had a massive hole
ripped into her bow. In the late 1940's she was damaged again,
although not seriously, when a steel towing hawser between a tug
and cargo boat split her mast after sweeping across her foredeck.
She was withdrawn after completing her Jubilee year in 1951 and
was sold for breaking up at Troon the following year.