Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion

CHERTSEY WAR MEMORIAL

World War 1 & 2 - Detailed information
Compiled & Copyright © Martin Edwards 2014

The Chertsey War Memorial stands outside St Peter's Church in Windsor Street, Chertsey at the junction of Windsor Street, London Street, Guioldford Street and Church Walk. It covers all denominations including Church of England, Methodist and United Reformed Churches. It takes the form of the figure of a serviceman standing in what would be Flanders mud, cheering at victory with one arm raised with helmet in hand atop a grfanite plinth with a two-stepped base. The inscriptions are on brass plaues on the sides of the plinth with the additional names from World War 2 on plaques at the base of the plinth. There are 130 names for World War 1 and 64 for World War 2. The memorial cost £2,400 and monies were raised by public subscription; the sculptors were Joseph Whitehead and Sons. The memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Guildford and unveiled by Lieuteant Colonel Clare on 30th October 1921.

Photographs from an old postcard

TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD
1914-1918

Still to be transcribed

Last updated 4 March, 2014

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-
Email: rollofhonour@ntlworld.com

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore