RCAF MEMORIAL- WAR MEMORIAL
information for World War 2
Compiled and copyright © Michael Booker 2004
Research Martin Edwards
airfield on the outskirts of the small village of Wombleton, situated
between the Hambleton Hills of North Yorkshire, was opened in October
1943 and was used by 6 Group, under Royal Canadian Air Force command
for training purposes. Operating both Lancaster and Halifax bombers,1666
Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) was the resident unit here throughout the
war. The airfield was used briefly by 1679 HCU, however when that unit
dis-banded, it was integrated into 1666 HCU. The situation of the airfield
was not ideal, as the hills made flying difficult for inexperienced
crews flying and country lanes actually crossed the airfiled! The airfield
was returned to the Royal Air Force in 1943 when 1666 HCU dis-banded
and was used by the RAF Regiment for training purposes until it finally
closed in the early 1950's.
Copyright © Michael Booker 2004
MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED TO THE CANADIANS OF
NO. 6. (RCAF) GROUP OF BOMBER COMMAND AND TO
THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE RAF AND WAAF WHO SERVED AT
WOMBLETON DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR.
THE PEOPLE OF RYEDALE EXPRESS THEIR SINCERE THANKS
TO THEM FOR GIVING THEIR YOUTH AND TIME AND,
IN MANY INSTANCES, THEIR LIVES. WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
DEDICATED 28TH MAY, 2001.
2 February, 2009