memorial stands in Duncombe Place near York Minster, York, commemorating
all Yorkshiremen who fell in the second Boer War 1899-1902. The memorial
was designed by George Frederick Bodley, R.A., and built by Messrs.
Bridgeman & Co. of Lichfield. The memorial was unveiled 3 August
1905 by Field Marshall The Right Honourable Earl Roberts, VC, KG, KP,
GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE. It takes the form of a cross in perpendicular Gothic
style with a complex, octagonal, structure surmounted by finials and
a lantern top with flying buttresses supporting the cross and s small
shield; the names are listed on slate panels set into plinth and the
whole monument set on an octangonal, four, stepped base. There are statues
of a Sailor, Cavalryman, Artilleryman, Infantryman, Imperial Yeoman,
Militiaman, Volunteer and Nurse, with the soldiers resting on arms reversed,
set into niches on front face. There are 1459 names listed.
current set of photographs of the memorial are not clear enough to decipher
the names; if anybody would like to transcribe the names then we would
be very pleased to accept them.