Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


World War 1 & 2 - Roll of Honour with detailed information
Compiled and copyright © Andy Chaloner 2010

The Grazeley war memorial is to be found inside Holy trinity Church, Grazeley and takes the form of a wooden board commemorating Word War I and II, with a plain moulded cornice and frame, with the names of the fallen in gold and white. There are 18 names for World War 1 and 5 names for World War 2.

Photographs Copyright © Andy Challoner 2010

Ye that live on mid English pastures green
Remember us and think what might have been

In proud & loving memory of the men of Grazeley
who gave their lives for freedom & honour
1914 - In the Great War – 1918

Corporal 18297, 11th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry, died on the 23rd August 1918 aged 40, son of Daniel and Kate Bartlett, husband of Elizabeth H Bartlett of Diddenham Cottage, Grazeley, Three Mile Cross, Reading. Buried at Bellacourt Military Cemetery, Riviere in France, grave III.E.3.
BOWYER Cecil Eustace
Private 5853 2nd/5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment, died on the 13th January 1917 aged 38, son of Edward James and Emily Rachel Bowyer of Binfield, Bracknell. Buried at the St Marys Church Cemetery, Shinfield.
Rifleman 9164, 3rd Battalion Rifle Brigade, died on the 11th July 1916 aged 33, previously wounded twice, son of Jonathan Dicker, husband of Florence Daisy Dicker of Three Mile Cross, Reading. Buried at the Pond Farm Cemetery in Belgium, grave B.15.
No further information currently
JERROM Harry Herbert

Boy 1st Class J/23308, Royal Navy HMS Bulwark, died on the 26th November 1914 aged 17, son of Harry and Alice Page Jerrom of 2 Fairview Cottages, Lambwood Hill, Grazeley, Reading. Buried at Gillingham (Woodlands) Cemetery, grave Naval 20.1045. HMS Bulwark, a battleship of 15,000 tons, was moored to No.17 buoy in Kethole Reach on the River Medway, almost opposite the town of Sheerness, Isle of Sheppy, Kent. There was a full complement was onboard. A disaster struck. A roaring sound was heard and a huge sheet of flame and debris shot upwards. The ship lifted out of the water and fell back. When the smoke eventually cleared, the Bulwark had sunk without trace. It was impossible to discover exactly how the ignition was caused and a verdict of accidental death was returned and the inquiry on the crew of HMS Bulwark was closed. During January 1915 many bodies of the Bulwark's crew were washed up on the Kent shoreline.

Sapper 782136, 13th Battalion Canadian Railway Troops, Royal Engineers, died on the 13th February 1919 of influenza and broncho-pneumonia aged 23, son of Jonas and Louisa Lawrence of Diddenham Cottages, Grazeley, Reading. Buried at Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Harve in France, grave Div.64.VI.E.2. Brother of William below.
Sapper 150378, Railway Troops Depot, Royal Engineers, died on the 22nd July 1916 of blood poisoning aged 25, son of Jonas and Louisa Lawrence of Diddenham Cottages, Grazeley, Reading. Remembered at Reading Cemetery, screen wall 72.16232. Brother of Frank above.
MILES Walter George

Private 8778, 1st Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, killed in action on the 27th July 1916 aged 23, born Reading, enlisted Reading, resident of Grazeley, son of Mr & Mrs James Miles of 2 Great Lea Terrace, Three Mile Cross, Reading. Remembered on the Thiepval Memorial in France, Pier and Face 11D. 1st Battalion diary entry for the 27th July 1916, 2am. Battalion moved to Delville Wood and took up position on southern edge of wood, and lay down in "jumping off" formation immediately in front of South Street 5.10am. Our bombardment of Longueval village commenced. 6.10am. Our bombardment of Delville Wood commenced. 7.12am. Battalion less A Company advanced in two waves. Btn Hdqs in centre of leading wave. After advancing 270 yards the leading battalions halted. The Battalion halted and dug in at this point. Our bombardment had lengthened by this time to the northern portion of the wood. 8.10am. Advance continued. The Battalion finally halted and dug in on the Princess Street line during the advance from South Street enemy's rifle fire was considerable but extremely inaccurate. Enemy machine gun, apparently fired from vicinity of Longueval village enfiladed the advance and consolidating parties. Another machine gun was traversing opposite the centre of the advance. These two guns ceased firing, having apparently been silenced just before the Battalion reached South Street.

9am. By this time the Battalion was dug in. Enemy opened extremely accurate high explosive fire, enfilading the position from right to left. Consolidation of the line was continued throughout the remainder of the day, and a very fair line was made. Weather throughout the day was very warm, and no water supply was available other than that carried in the bottles. The line was continually shelled from 9am to 8pm. 10.40am. Officer from 1st KRRC support trench came back and stated that the enemy were bombing along right flank of his battalion and that the position there was being retained with difficulty. Orders were immediately issued for bombs to be collected (each man was carrying two bombs). This was done with very little delay, and the message to Brigade was sent off "Send up bombs. Very urgently needed."

10.50am. An old dump containing 30 boxes SAA and about 100 boxes of bombs was discovered about 50 yards in rear of Princess Street line: this having been evidently left there in a previous advance and overlooked by the enemy. Parties were detailed to take quantities of bombs and SAA to the KRR support trench. 11.30am. Another officer from KRR arrived at Btn Hdqs and asked for further reinforcements to assist in holding the right flank of his Battalion. He stated that 12 men and a Lewis gun and team would be sufficient. These were sent forward immediately together with a supply of bombs. 4 pm. Same officer from KRR returned and stated that the right of the firing line of his Battalion had been slightly pushed back, and the Lewis gun which we had sent up knocked out. Reinforcements were then sent forward consisting of the remainder of right centre company. The remainder of left centre company was transferred to the position vacated by right centre company in order to be prepared to counter-attack. Pigeon message was then sent to Brigade to the effect that the firing line had been reinforced and only a small number of men were left in hand for support, and that reinforcements were urgently required. Enemy shelling lessened about 5pm. 9.30pm. From this time onwards until dawn the situation was quiet with little or no shelling.

NORRIS Herbert James Alfred (Alf)
Private 23874, 7th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, died of wounds on the 24th April 1917, born Burghfield, enlisted in Reading, resident of Lea Farm, Three Mile Cross. Remembered on the Doiran Memorial in Greece.

Private PO/18428, Royal Marine Light Infantry HMS Malaya, died on the 31st May 1916 aged 18, son of Mr and Mrs Ostridge of Fair View Cottage, Grazeley, Reading. Remembered on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial, reference 22. HMS Malaya took part in the Battle of Jutland on the 31 May 1916, where she was hit eight times and took major damage and heavy crew casualties. A total of 65 men died, in the battle or later, of their injuries.

No further information currently
POVEY William
Private 14364, 2nd/4th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment, died of wounds on the 20th January 1918, resident of Grazeley, also served in the 1st and 8th Battalions of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. Buried at Tincourt New British Cemetery in France, grave IV.G.19.
SMITH Albert
No further information currently
Private 23392, 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment, died on the 9th April 1917, son of Mr J Sumpster of Spencers Wood, Reading. Buried at the Neuville-Vitasse Road Cemetery in France, grave B.9.
No further information currently
No further information currently
TELFER William
No further information currently
WHITE Lawrence Wilfred

Leading Stoker 312249, Royal Navy HMS Invincible, died at the Battle of Jutland on the 31st May 1916 aged 27, son of Robert and Fanny White of "The Nest" Spencers Wood, Reading. Remembered on the Portsmouth Navel Memorial, panel 17. Also remembered on the Spencers Wood Memorial. HMS Invincible was the flagship of the 3rd Battlecruiser Squadron during the Battle of Jutland. on the 30 May, the entire Grand Fleet, along with Admiral Beatty's battlecruisers, had been ordered to sea to prepare for an excursion by the German High Seas Fleet. At 5:53 Invincible opened fire on Wiesbaden, the German ship turned for the south after fruitlessly firing torpedoes and attempted to find shelter in the mist. As they turned Invincible hit Wiesbaden in the engine room and knocked out her engines. As Invincible turned north, her helm jammed and she had to come to a stop to fix the problem, this was quickly done and the squadron reformed heading west. At 6:30 Invincible abruptly appeared as a clear target before Lützow and Derfflinger. The two German ships then fired three salvoes each at Invincible and sank her in 90 seconds. Of her complement, 1026 officers and men were killed, including Rear-Admiral Hood. There were only six survivors.

HAYES Roland
Sergeant (Pilot) 1604240, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, died on the 13th January 1944 in a flying accident on the West Coast of Canada aged 19. Son of James Norman and Helen Hayes of Three Mile Cross, Berkshire. Born on the 25th February 1924 at Sulhamstead, near Reading. Buried at the Victoria (Royal Oak) Burial Park, Canada, Section D plot 21 grave 5.
JERROM William Charles
Marine PO/X 1244, Royal Marines HMS Durban, died on the 11th February 1942 aged 29, son of Harry and Sarah Jerrom, husband of Joan Marjorie Jerrom of New Bradwell, Buckinghamshire. Remembered on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial, panel 70 column 2. In February 1942 HMS Durban moved with the rest of the Eastern Fleet to Java, after the Japanese started their attack on Singapore. Durban was damaged by bombing before she could leave, but in company with HMS Dragon was able to make it to Tandjong Priok, the port of Batavia.
JERROME Nelson James
Driver T/269836, Royal Army Service Corps, died on the 20th January 1943 aged 21, son of Albert James and Florence Jane Jerrome of Three Mile Cross, Reading. Buried at Grazeley (Holy Trinity) Churchyard, grave A.10.
PALMER [William] Sidney
Leading Aircraftman 1046678, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Died 5th September 1944. Aged 33. Son of William and Mary Elizabeth Palmer; husband of Dorothy May Palmer, of Three-Mile Cross, Berkshire. Buried in CALCUTTA (BHOWANIPORE) CEMETERY, KOLKATA, India. Plot L. Grave 194.
No further information currently


Last updated 20 November, 2010

Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © 2002- | GDPR Cookies