of Ely War Memorial can be found in the Almonry Wall, Market Square,
Ely. It takes the form of an arched and domed alcove within the rough
stone wall to the Almonry. The dome has two decorative arch braces which
split the roof into three sections. Each roof section supports three
plaques with names (nine in total). Below these plaques is a foliate
cornice. Four larger plaques with names are mounted on the alcove wall.
At the centre is a bronze cross inset into the wall. There are a total
of 13 plaques with inscription and names within the alcove. The lower
wall has a shelf for plants. This shelf is supported by stone brackets.
There are 224 names listed for World War 1. It was unveiled 30th April
memorial unveiled – extracted from Ely Past
Snips 5th May 1922
Fully described as "Ely's Own Memorial to Her Own Fallen Heroes"
- the shrine containing the Rolls of Honour of 224 men of the Ely Urban
District who paid the great price in the war – was unveiled on
Sunday afternoon in the presence of an attendance numbering several
a happy choice the shrine is located on the Market-hill, in the heart
of the city, and on the spot made sacred by its association with a temporary
wooden shrine, which was placed there during the war