Lest We Forget
The town of Bordon lies within North East Hampshire and contains the villages of Grayshott, Headley, Kingsley, Lindford and Whitehill. It lies on the A325 which can be reached from the north near Farnham on the A31 or from the south off the A3. The Royal Engineers Lines were barracks for the Royal Engineers built at Bordon, Hampshire between 1907 and 1911 to house the 26th Field Company, Royal Engineers where they remained occupied by them until the change from horses to motor transport. The Company then moved to Aldershot. The site comprised guardroom, offices, stores, workshop, stables and canteen.
The area around Bordon and Longmoor had been purchased by the War Department and used for training since the mid 1880s. The first camp, for a brigade of infantry, was built at Longmoor while artillery barracks were constructed at Bordon. However, because of complaints about the marshy state of the ground at Longmoor and its unhealthy effect on the troops, the War Office decided to move the infantry to Bordon. The Royal Engineers constructed two parallel light railway tracks, 22 feet apart, from Longmoor to Bordon; the huts were lifted complete onto trolleys and hauled by teams of horses to their new site. Between 1903 and 1906 sixty-eight huts were thus removed.
Last updated 7 August, 2009