Southampton Cenotaph war memorial in Watt's Park/West Park was built
in 1919. The architect was Sir Edwin Lutyens. The Cenotaph is made of
Portland stone tapering to a platform on which is the recumbent effigy
of a dead soldier. To the west of it is a stone of remembrance and to
the east two short pillars surmounted by fir cones (symbols of eternity).
These are joined by a seat and a wall, on which is the inscription if
to be found. There are recessed panels on the north, south and west
access where the names of the fallen are inscribed. The east side has
a cross of sacrifice and the north and south faces have lions, on both
the east and west faces are the arms of Southampton. Sculptured wreaths
enclose emblems of the army, navy, merchant marine and air force. The
original site for the memorial cost £10,000, the memorial was
dedicated by the Bishop of Winchester and unveiled by Major General
J E B Seely on 6th November 1920. An Adobe Acrobat file on the Southampton
Council web site gives the names of those
who died in World War 1.
is a Southampton
Cenotaph website thaT has been designed and produced by students
from Southampton Solent University and includes the biographies of those
who are named on Southampton Cenotaph and Memorial Wall, as well as
images, video, audio and interactive media. The website is continuing
to be developed by Southampton Solent University in partnership with
the Southampton Cenotaph Families and Friends Group.