HERTFORD WAR MEMORIAL
and Second World War - Detailed information
Compiled and Copyright © Dai Bevan 2010
additional information Martin Edwards 2006
Hertford War Memorial is located in Parliament Square, Hertford. It
takes the form of a sculptured bronze stag atop a portland stone plinth
surrounded, on the ground, by name panels for those who died in World
War 1 and World War 2. There are 365 names for World War 1 and 199 for
World War 2. The memorial was originally unveiled by the Archdeacon
of St Albans on 6th November 1921. The freehold for the site was bought
by Sir Edward Ernest Pearson of Brickendonbury Knight for £2,650
and was given as a gift from him and his wife to Hertford Council in
1921. The architects were Mr Maurice Webb and Sir Aston Webb & Sons;
the sculptor was Sir Edward Alfred Brisco Drury. Details are to be found
in the Hertfordshire Mercury dated 10th November 2000. Above the inscription
on the main face, at the top of the cenotaph is a carved wreath surmounted
by a crown, and encircling the date 1914. Names are on tablets on the
floor around the monument. Civilians are listed separately from military.
There are 369 names listed for World War 1 and 118 for World War 2;
487 names in total. See also the Hertford
War Memorial site.
the memory of
who gave their lives in
the Great War 1914 – 1919
Also in the 2nd World War 1939 – 1945
name liveth for evermore.
of names here means that the pages have had to be split into two conflict
sections and then alphabetical sections. Click on the relevant link below
to go to the required section. There may be some duplication in names
and some ommissions mainly due to the size of the task.
29 August, 2016