"Czar" was a 6,503 gross ton ship, built by Barclay,
Curle & Co, Glasgow in 1912 for the Russian American Line.
Her specifications were:- length 425ft x beam 53.2ft, two funnels,
two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation
for 30-1st, 260-2nd and 1,086-3rd & 4th class passengers.
She was launched on 23rd March 1912, she sailed from Libau on
her maiden voyage to Copenhagen and New York on 30th May 1912.
Her last voyage on this service started on 17th July 1914 and
on 13th September 1914 she commenced Archangel - New York sailings.
the Russian revolution, she was transferred to British registry
and placed under the management of the Cunard SS Co. and in 1921
was returned to the East Asiatic Co of Copenhagen (owners of the
Russian American Line). She was renamed "Estonia" and
placed her on the transatlantic service under the description
of Baltic American Line. On 11th January 1921 she sailed from
Glasgow for New York, Danzig and Libau, and on 23rd February 1921
commenced Libau - Danzig - Boston - New York sailings. In February
1925 she was refitted to accommodate 290-cabin and 500-3rd class
passengers and in March 1926 was again altered to 110-cabin, 180-tourist
and 500-3rd class. Her last Danzig - Copenhagen - Halifax - New
York voyage started on 31st January 1930 and she was then sold
to the Polish owned Gdynia-America Line. On 13th March 1930 she
started a single round voyage between Danzig, Copenhagen, Halifax
and New York and was then renamed "Pulaski". She started
sailing between Danzig, Halifax and New York under this name on
25th April 1930 and commenced her last North Atlantic voyage -
Gdynia - Copenhagen - Halifax - New York on 18th August 1935.
Transferred to the Gdynia - Buenos Aires service on 28th Feb.1936
and started her last voyage on this route on 21st April 1939.
On 24th August 1939, just before the outbreak of World War II,
she sailed from Gdynia for Falmouth and was used as a troopship
during World War II, was renamed "Empire Penryn" under
British registry in 1946 and was scrapped at Blyth in 1949.
more details see: Wikipedia
- SS Czar