Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence

Lest We Forget
British Legion
The Royal British Legion


HMHS GARTH CASTLE was the sucessor to SS Garth Castle (1880). Built by Barclay Curle & Company Glasgow, Yard No 478, in 1910 for the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company. She was 7,612 gross tonnes, 452 feet 6 inches by 54 feet 3 inches, twin screen, 2 x Quadruple Expansion, 647 Nautical Horsepower and 13 knots. She became a Naval Hospital Ship. YA.2, commissioned on 4th November 1914 as a hospital ship and could carry approximately 250 casualties. On 24th June 1917, during a fleet inspection, the surgeons and nursing staff were presented to H.M. King George V. She took part in the North Russian Expeditionary Force, 1918-1919. She was broken up in 1939.

Last updated 15 August, 2008
Friends of the War Memorials
War Memorials Trust
Main page
Commonweath War Graves Commission
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Copyright © 2002-

See our on-line bookstore
Visit our bookstore